Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day Three {Your Parents}

{i spent all day trying to figure out what to write. This is a difficult topic for me to discuss, I really don't know what to say, so bear with me.}

Your Parents

My parents were married for 27 years, they separated and divorced when I was 22 & my sister was 14. Most of what I remember of them together was separate rooms, non-communication, fighting, and lastly abuse later on.

My Mom

My mom was born in 1945, and raised in a small rural area in Missouri. Being the youngest of eight children, but by the time she came along there was only 2 left at home. All the others were married and long gone.

After graduating High School she moved to the city to find a job long way from farming. Her and my father were high school sweat hearts. Though her parents did not approve of him one bit.

When she had enough of that relationship she moved on. FINALLY!!

My mother was never the stay-at-home type of mom. Retired now do to an injury. Because she can not leave well enough alone (nice way of saying can not stop meddling) she is raising my oldest niece. If she had it her way and the courts would see it her way she would have custody of all her grandchildren, yes mine included. As I said .. meddling .. but I love her.

I have so many memories with my Mom and I feel like sometimes she gets the short end of the stick. We were thick as thieves when I was growing up, well minus the "teenage years" lol. We still can cause loads of trouble. ;-)

Dad

My dad was the youngest of six children. He was born in 1945. His father was a farmer and he never seen his self in that career choice. He moved to the city where he followed his brothers and they all worked at the same company for many years. My dad loved cars and spent a bit of time racing stock cars for fun. He drafted during the Vietnam War. I am told he was never the same when he returned. I was born of course until way after that, so I wouldn't know.

Unfortunately I do not remember much about my dad other than the bad years. He was a horrible active alcoholic. He would get off work and not stop drinking until bedtime. I would guess this habit started when I was in late elementary/early middle school. I will give him this, he never missed a day of work because of his habit. Then the violence started ..

The Divorced Years


My mom?

Still lives in house I grew up in. She remarried after about 10 years. Probably not anymore happier than she was before.

My dad?

I would have no clue. He blamed me for the divorce and by his choice I have not seen or heard from him what will be 19 years this coming May. I guess this would be his loss. He has never met his son-in-law. He has missed out on the joy of his only grandson. But really? Would I even let him in our lives? Hard to say. I think it would been a hard sell for the husband. For him he stills sees the remains of dads last rage in the scar on my face.

...



Baseball Mom
©2006-2010 baseballmomrambles, all rights reserved.

1 comment:

I can't find my blog said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing this. I'm sure it must have been hard to write.