Friday, May 22, 2009

As the Baseball Turns ...

Here is a little baseball soap Opera for you. It is such a story all I could think of was this is a soap opera in the making.

So as far as baseball goes. It was not a pretty week. Can't really expect every game, week to go perfect so you would think just get up and brush it off. Well you would think. But last night was so intense for Catcher Dude. So bad. He actually tried to beat up one of his own pitchers. LOL. Okay. Serious. Not Funny Baseball Mom. Stop. Laughing. (Okay in all fairness, I did not laugh last night.) Then decided he was NOT playing for this second team any longer.

Wait I am getting a head.

Tuesday game. #2 team won 13-4. They had Catcher dude pitch the whole game. He had 10 SO, 3 BB. He actually did really good pitching. As far as batting this game 3 AB, 1 H, 1 RBI, 1 SB. So he definitely struggled there.

Wednesday game. #1 team Won 12-6. CD caught the whole game. (His backup was not there so he didn't have to share) His batting this game as good, but I tell ya he sure gets walked a lot! I am told it is because he has a good eye and doesn't swing at bullshit. But he really doesn't get much to work with. So he walked (no pun intended) away with 4 AB, 4 R, 1 3B, 3 BB, 2 SB. That is the first triple he has hit. So he was really happy about that.

Now that brings us to last nights game. Thursday game. #2 team lost 12-17. Now first of all you read 12-17 and you think that wasn't bad. Ah yes, but there is a little more than that. They were the visiting team. They only played top of the third. The bottom of first they were winning 9-4.

After the top of the 2nd they were winning 11-4. Then the home team batted bottom of the second. Then the nightmare started. Catcher dude had pitched first inning. He struggled. That was for sure. He had 1 BB, and 2 SO. (By the way those were the only SO of the game.) But for whatever reason they decided to go with another pitcher start of the next inning. He walked or HBP most of the runs in.

Changed pitcher, he couldn't keep it out of the dirt. But my blocking machine didn't let any past him (unless way over head, or more on third than over plate ..lol) Unfortunately he blocked so many his arms are now black and blue, and bleeding in some spots. He snapped and rushed the mound. (I think at that point was 11-10.)

Guess he was going to take blood from his pitcher. Screaming, flaying arms, pointing his finger, throwing equipment off. (that was before he reached mound .. lol) He reached the mound, and more words were said by him, the pitcher just stood there in horror. Luckily the coach came out. QUICK!

They switched pitchers again. It really didn't get any better. Their pitching just sucks, they have no fielding, and BB and HBP isn't any better. After they had went through entire batting order almost 3 times. They got 3 outs. Score now was 11-17. The game was a lost cause. It had been over the 1:45 minute time limit. Was only going into the top of the third. For whatever reason they let the boys bat again. I could still hear CD screaming over there. I was really think .. heart attack .. any minute. 4 batter made it up. 1 run. Blue called it. Final 12-17. BAD!! Really.


The yelling and screaming didn't really stop when he got over to me. I was actually worried about him. I tried calling Dad Dude to see if he could calm him. Not so much. Finally he quieted. But still was so mad. He could not even speak. All he kept saying is it was not worth all the troubles of playing on this little piss-ass rec league team. He quit! Period. Actually in my horror he was cussing and he has never cussed. (Not that I let him I told him.)

He wouldn't eat. Wouldn't drink. He barely let me tend to his bruised and bleeding arms.

I really feel for him. He works so hard, and to see others just not really care, try, it is hard. His mood this morning was not any better. He is still saying he is not returning to this team. *shrug*

He has practice tomorrow and a game Tuesday. I have tried not to say much to him today. Actually he came home today at 9:30 and has been sleeping since about 11. I am hoping this sleep will help him recover.

Poor Catcher Dude!! He carries teams all the time, and they break his heart when they don't step up.

Baseball Mom
©2006-2009 baseballmomrambles, all rights reserved.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

This is actually a GREAT story! Although, I was about to email begging for anacronym help until I got down to your BB Terms! :-) THX!

This is good for Catcher Dude in a way. It's a learning experience (though, it's costing you $$$ I'm sure) to cut his loses and to realize that some people don't pull their weight.

Poor guy. He gives it his all and gets bruised and others play half-pie. NO bueno.

Unfortunately, tis life.

I could almost literally hear his frustration in my ear -- my kids and nephews have been upset like that...

Great post and love the sharing!!! Hope his bruises and all heal quickly.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

It would be one thing if they were trying, right? The catcher has the hardest job, that's for sure.

Cat said...

ARG!! I could totally feel his frustration! I hate having to rely on people anyway, it seems it is sooo hard to get anyone to pull their weight these days. Even my husband! Grrr....

The Queen said...

I don't know anything about baseball, but how old are these kids that are playing? Do they not know you have to play the whole game, no matter what sport it is?

baseballmom said...

Wow. How old is your son? Sounds like it would be better for him to get off the team. My 7 yr. old is on two teams, and with his first one, he's having a blast. He hits like crazy (homeruns usually) and plays first base all the time. On the second team, he plays outfield because there are 20 (yes) kids on the team and he can't hit because the coaches are not allowed to pitch overhand to the kids, and that's all he knows. He was in tears after the last game, so I told him he could quit with my blessing if it was no fun for him. Still waiting for the final answer.